Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Christmas Baking

I wanted to start some holiday traditions with the girls this year. With family being so close, we tend to just do whatever they are doing.  We had already built a gingerbread house, so  I thought it would be fun to bake some gingerbread men, and some other fun holiday sugar cookies.

The girls really enjoyed rolling out the dough, and cutting out the shapes.  I realized however, that I am a control freak!  I couldn't stand the girls getting flour every where, or touching things in the kitchen when their hands were covered in sticky dough!  I really had to try very hard to just let them have fun.  If the gingerbread man wasn't shaped just right, who cares? Right? ( I need counseling.) Its just a cookie!  Its going to be eaten for crying out loud!

Aside from my internal meltdowns, we were able to bake some cute cookies. After all the cookies were baked, we invited our friends over to help decorate.  It was lots of fun!

Cutting out their gingerbread men

Poor Ben is always banished to the highchair! You can see him way in the back!

Rolling the dough all by herself

Tada!

Sarah's turn to roll the dough

All the kids!  From left to right: Sarah, Ben, Mikaela Atkinson, Maddy, Tayte Atkinson
Time to decorate!
 Now for the decorating!!
Once the gingerbread men were decorated, we moved on to decorating the sugar cookies. 

Time to enjoy the hard work!

Thats my girl! Who needs to wait until the cookies are done when you have frosting...

So. Many. Cookies!
I think I was cookied out when we were done!  I'm so glad I baked with my girls. And even more glad we got to have fun with friends!

1 comment:

  1. So I was reading this thinking, "Man, Shawna is a great mom...look at all the creative things she did with her kids. I don't think we really did anything with Grace this year." And then, I read that comment about Ben being banished to the highchair. And I laughed and thought...oh yeah...THAT'S why we didn't do anything with Grace! haha

    ReplyDelete