Friday, July 6, 2012

The Getaway- Part 1

Joseph and I had the opportunity after 8 years of marriage to get away for 5 days without the kids. It was SO MUCH FUN!! Why haven't we done this before?
We went up to DC to take in all the sights, and let me tell you, we crammed in soooo much!

We left on a Wednesday and headed up to my Uncles house in Alexandria. We had dinner, and my Uncle showed us some sights before we got started the next day on all we had planned.


My Aunt was telling us about a townhouse that was about 6ft. wide. I didn't really believe that... so my uncle drove us by it. Crazy! If you couldn't tell, its the blue one in the middle. I guess some people were fighting over the alley in the middle, and the solution was to build a house in it. I wonder how they got their couch in there?


He also drove us down to see the Potomac, and the statue of the Awakening. It was neat! We also passed by the church where George Washington attended, and where his funeral took place. I wasn't able to get a picture though.

Thursday morning we headed off to Mt. Vernon!


We were able to tour George Washington's home, it was amazing.


View of the Potomac from the back porch

George Washington and his wife Martha's grave

The old family tomb where George Washington was originally buried

His new family tomb that he requested be built and have him buried in, in his will

Mt. Vernon is still a working farm, and they had people dresse in character taking care of it, It was neat!



View of the back of the mansion

After Mt. Vernon we headed off to the DC Temple to do an Endowment session.


I never realized how big this Temple was... It is gorgeous.

 

 Selph portrait as we were leaving...
First full day of vacation.. done.

1 comment:

  1. I know, I know, this is months late... sometimes it takes me awhile to catch up on blogs... it's awesome that you got to take some time for just the two of you and your trip looks awesome!!! I think we've only had 3 dates without Caleb since he's been born. :)

    ReplyDelete